What should I ask my lawyer about separation?
When working with a law firm that offers an initial consultation, make the most of it by getting answers to these 12 important questions.
- Do you specialize in divorce? …
- How long have you been practicing divorce law? …
- How will your team work together on my case? …
- How will you achieve my goals?
What questions should I ask at an attorney consultation?
Questions to Ask Your Lawyer During a Consultation
- 1) What kind of experience do you have with similar cases?
- 2) What would be your strategy for my case?
- 3) Are there any alternatives to going to court?
- 4) What are my possible outcomes?
- 5) Who will actually handle my case?
- 6) What is my role in my case?
- 7) How much will this cost me?
What questions should I ask my first divorce lawyer?
During your first meeting, these are some questions you can ask to learn more about the divorce process and what to expect during your divorce.
- What Do You Need to Know from Me? …
- How Can I Make This Divorce Less Expensive? …
- What Can I Expect the Divorce Process to Be Like? …
- What Are My Next Steps After This Meeting?
Where can I ask a lawyer a question for free?
Ask A Lawyer is a free offering on Lawyers.com where consumers can ask legal questions and seek answers from our extensive network of attorneys. For attorneys, it is an effective marketing tool linking you to prospective clients who may be in need of legal counsel.
What are the terms of a separation?
Legal separation is a type of separation where a couple asks the court to approve their terms for living separate and apart. Spouses can specify these terms, such as how to manage finances and debts, child support and custody, and spousal maintenance, in a Separation Agreement for the court to approve.
What are the terms of a legal separation?
A legal separation is a court-ordered agreement in which a married couple lives separate lives, usually by living apart. The separation court order may specify financial obligations, child custody and visitation agreements, and child support.
What should I bring to a lawyer consultation?
What Should I Bring?
- A pen and pad of paper or the electronic equivalent! …
- A list of questions. …
- A check for the initial consultation fee, if your attorney charges one. …
- Any documents relevant to your case.
Do most lawyers give free consultation?
Most lawyers offer a free consultation so that you have a chance to determine if he or she is the right person for you. … You will not get much legal advice at this consult since it is not meant to resolve your legal question, but is instead an opportunity to determine if you wish to hire this attorney.
How does hiring a lawyer work?
You pay the lawyer a set dollar amount for a particular service, like writing a will. If the matter is simple and straightforward, say, an uncontested divorce or a simple bankruptcy filing, many lawyers often charge a flat fee. Be sure to find out exactly what the flat fee includes. Hourly rates.
Is it better to have a male or female divorce lawyer?
The sex of your attorney may not matter to a judge, nor affect their skill in helping you reach settlement. That said, you may feel more comfortable working with an attorney of one sex or the other, and that’s perfectly fine. Choosing a divorce attorney is a very personal decision.
What are the four main issues in divorce?
What Are the Four Main Issues in Divorce?
- Property Division. When you and your spouse divorce, the legal status of your properties change. …
- Parental Responsibilities. Colorado’s phrase for child custody is parental responsibilities. …
- Child Support. Child support is separate from parental responsibilities. …
- Spousal Maintenance.
What happens during a lawyer consultation?
During your consultation, the attorney will ask about the issues in your case and discuss the merits of the actions and the various ways you can proceed. … You will decide if you want to work with the attorney and the attorney will let you know whether she is willing to take your case.
What is a free lawyer called?
What is a pro bono program? Pro bono programs help low-income people find volunteer lawyers who are willing to handle their cases for free. These programs usually are sponsored by state or local bar associations.
How much does it cost to ask a lawyer a question?
When clients ask, “how much does a lawyer cost,” the answer can vary from $50 to $1000 or more per hour. But if you’re facing a legal issue, working with a lawyer is very helpful and can affect the outcome of the case.
Which type of lawyer do I need?
In general, there are broader fields of law such as family law or estate planning, and subsections that fall under them like divorce or forming a trust. It’s up to you how specialized you want your lawyer to be, but your lawyer should have experience in the matter you’re trying to resolve.