Here’s the verb: to advocate something, or to advocate for something, is to recommend it: to speak in favor of it. And to advocate for someone is to support that person with your words: to speak for that person. And here’s the noun: an advocate is a person who speaks in support of someone or something.
Can you advocate against something?
An advocate by definition is someone who publicly supports someone or something. … I would say, ‘She is an advocate of clean air’. Neither ‘for’ nor ‘against’ goes with ‘advocate’ the noun or the verb. If you are against it, you oppose it.
What does it mean to be an advocate for something?
Advocate (AD-və-kate) is also a verb meaning to speak in favor of, so you can advocate for that outdoor recess by urging your school to play outside! As a noun, an advocate is a person who represents another person’s interests, like a lawyer does.
How do you use the word advocate?
Advocate sentence examples
- Be an advocate of her privacy, not her identification. …
- When you have visited a place, you will find it harder to advocate its destruction. …
- In 1789 he was an advocate at the parlement of Normandy. …
- Abraham Lincoln hated slavery and became an advocate of abolitionism.
What is another word for advocate?
SYNONYMS FOR advocate
3 champion, proponent, backer. 5 lawyer, attorney, counselor, counsel; barrister; solicitor.
What is a synonym for devil’s advocate?
other words for devil’s advocate
apologist. defender. mediator. polemicist.
What are the 3 types of advocacy?
There are three types of advocacy – self-advocacy, individual advocacy and systems advocacy.
What is an example of an advocate?
The definition of an advocate is someone who fights for something or someone, especially someone who fights for the rights of others. An example of an advocate is a lawyer who specializes in child protection and who speaks for abused children in court. Anyone who argues the case of another; an intercessor.
What skills should an advocate have?
What skills do I need?
- the ability to develop good working relationships.
- good communication skills with a range of people.
- the ability to research information and people’s rights.
- the ability to stand up and challenge decisions.
- good English skills to understand complex policies and procedures.
What is the role of an advocate?
The role of an advocate is to offer independent support to those who feel they are not being heard and to ensure they are taken seriously and that their rights are respected. … An advocate does not represent their own views but amplifies that of the person they are supporting.
What does advocate mean in the Bible?
Paraclete (Greek: παράκλητος, Latin: paracletus) means advocate or helper. In Christianity, the term “paraclete” most commonly refers to the Holy Spirit.
Why is advocacy so important?
Advocacy seeks to ensure that all people in society are able to: Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them. Protect and promote their rights. Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.23 мая 2017 г.
What is the best synonym for advocate?
- champion, upholder, supporter, backer, promoter, proponent, exponent, protector, patron.
- spokesman for, spokeswoman for, spokesperson for, speaker for, campaigner for, fighter for, battler for, crusader for.
- missionary, reformer, pioneer, pleader, propagandist, apostle, apologist.
What is opposite of advocate?
Opposite of a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy. critic. protestor. opponent. adversary.
Are advocate and opponent antonyms?
Advocate noun – A person who actively supports or favors a cause. Opponent is an antonym for advocate.