support, uphold, advocate, back, champion mean to favor actively one that meets opposition.
What is the same thing as advocate?
Frequently Asked Questions About advocate
Some common synonyms of advocate are back, champion, support, and uphold. While all these words mean “to favor actively one that meets opposition,” advocate stresses urging or pleading.
What is the synonym and antonym of advocate?
advocate(n) Antonyms: opponent, adversary, discountenancer, accuser, impugner, gainsayer. Synonyms: pleader, counsellor, upholder, propagator, promoter, supporter, countenancer, defender, maintainer.
What advocate means?
Webster’s defines an advocate as a person who pleads another’s cause, or who speaks or writes in support of something. A lawyer is an advocate when he represents his client in a courtroom. A case manager will advocate for her client by helping them to access services, such as food, housing, and medical care.
What is an example of an advocate?
The definition of an advocate is someone who fights for something or someone, especially someone who fights for the rights of others. An example of an advocate is a lawyer who specializes in child protection and who speaks for abused children in court. Anyone who argues the case of another; an intercessor.
What is a good sentence for advocate?
Examples of advocate in a Sentence
a passionate advocate of civil rights She works as a consumer advocate.
What is the best synonym for advocate?
- champion, upholder, supporter, backer, promoter, proponent, exponent, protector, patron.
- spokesman for, spokeswoman for, spokesperson for, speaker for, campaigner for, fighter for, battler for, crusader for.
- missionary, reformer, pioneer, pleader, propagandist, apostle, apologist.
What is the opposite word of advocate?
What is the opposite of advocate?criticprotestorknockermuckrakerantagonistassailantopposerrivalenemyoppositionЕщё 25 строк
Can you advocate against something?
An advocate by definition is someone who publicly supports someone or something. … I would say, ‘She is an advocate of clean air’. Neither ‘for’ nor ‘against’ goes with ‘advocate’ the noun or the verb. If you are against it, you oppose it.
What skills should an advocate have?
What skills do I need?
- the ability to develop good working relationships.
- good communication skills with a range of people.
- the ability to research information and people’s rights.
- the ability to stand up and challenge decisions.
- good English skills to understand complex policies and procedures.
What are the 3 types of advocacy?
There are three types of advocacy – self-advocacy, individual advocacy and systems advocacy.
Why should I be an advocate?
Advocates do a lot of work, both in the beginning and late stages of creating empowerment to an individual or group of people. They often are working side-by-side with someone closely tied to a rare disease (a patient, caregiver, or loved one) and are able to show support that will help make their lives easier.
How can I be an advocate?
5 ways to be an advocate
- Find your passion. No matter the cause, it should be something that you truly believe in. …
- Stay informed on what matters to you most. …
- Find your advocacy style. …
- Get involved and meet with others. …
- Use your voice.
How do you use the word advocate?
Advocate sentence examples
- Be an advocate of her privacy, not her identification. …
- When you have visited a place, you will find it harder to advocate its destruction. …
- In 1789 he was an advocate at the parlement of Normandy. …
- Abraham Lincoln hated slavery and became an advocate of abolitionism.
What is your advocacy in your life?
Self-advocacy means you are able to ask for what you need and want and tell people about your thoughts and feelings. Self-advocacy means you know your rights and responsibilities, you speak-up for your rights, and you are able to make choices and decisions that affect your life.